Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Introducing...

After 4 whole days with no official name, we (finally!) introduce our speediest child EVER:

Camila Grace Dubreuil
DOB: 4/22/11
Locale: Garland, TX (more appropriately, Denny's parking lot)
Weight: 6lbs 1 oz
Length: 19 in

DAY 1

Day 2
My mother hen, Mikaela, with her sister.
Excuse how disheveled I look. With all the excitement that occurred with her delivery, I forgot to pack a brush!

Day 3
Right before leaving the hospital :)

So here's Camila's birth story. Be forewarned, it is VERY LONG. I've written down everything I remember...

I woke up on Friday morning, 4/22/11, with absolutely NO labor pains! I chatted with my SIL for a while in the morning, then called my mom. At this point it was now 9:39 a.m.-the reason I know the exact time is because that's exactly when I started tracking the contractions on my little sheet of paper. I spoke to her for about 40 min. all the while having contractions every 5 min. I didn't think much of it but she told me to call Jared just in case. I gave him a ring (now 10:30 a.m.) and we decided to keep tracking the contractions for another hour before having him come home. I know, I know, he should have come home right then, but let me explain, none of the other kids came super fast. Jackson's labor was 10hrs, and even with Pitocin, Mikaela's was 13. Lexie was the only quick one at 3 hours, but I was induced. So in my mind I still had a while to go. I kept tracking the contractions, all the while calling my nurse (who told me to go ahead and come on in), arranging for our good friends the Zincke's to take the kids, and packing our bags. It is now 11:30 a.m. and I finally decide to call Jared to come home. Here's where the adventure begins!

What normally takes Jared 25-30 min. to come home, took Jared 45 min! All this time my contractions are getting stronger and stronger! I'm on the phone with my good friend Lei, who tells me to pack some towels, just in case I don't make it to the hospital. I do pack one, but this whole time I'm thinking I will totally make it. Guess I was WRONG! Jared finally walks through the door at 12:11 p.m. We grab everything and everyone as quickly as we can, but now my contractions are so strong that I can't even talk to Jared while I'm having one. They are; however, only 3-5 min. apart and I'm thinking we still have time. We load everyone in the car (including Loki) because Charity is meeting us at the hospital to take the kids and dog to her house.

We take off and this is when I FINALLY start thinking that I'm NOT going to make it!! The hospital is 40 min. away and Jared is going as fast as he can while still keeping us safe. We make it onto the bridge and I immediately feel like Jared needs to pull over. I tell him to call 911 and to take the first exit after the bridge. We have only been on the road for 15 min, I have started to panic...and yes, screaming has commenced :) (Remember, I have never done a birth without an epidural-I'm freaking out a bit). We make it over the bridge and Jared takes the first exit, Exit 59: Beltline and Broadway, in Garland. This exit is forever ingrained in my head. He quickly pulls into the Denny's parking lot and he's still on the phone with 911 but they have put him on hold (apparently trying to communicate with the Garland ambulance). I'm feeling like the baby is coming and when Jared says they have him on hold I lose it a bit. So I call 911. We're both on the phone and they finally tell us they're on their way. But, our little girl decides she's on her way too! My next contraction is so strong that I immediately recline my seat back and tell Jared he needs to come around and help me because she's coming. Hearing the intensity in my voice he comes over and I tell him she's crowning. Thankfully, he's grabbed the one towel I packed (thanks Lei!) and one of his clean shirts that he packed. One contraction and her head is out, one more and the rest of her is out. Camila is born within 5 min. of us pulling over. Total labor plus delivery time = 3 hours 11 min. She was born at 12:50 p.m.

Honestly, after she was born calmness finally was restored to the van. I had no pain and was focused on making sure she was okay. My poor kids finally stopped screaming when I stopped screaming and they were actually saying to each other "Look Mom had the baby!" Looking back, yes, I screamed from pain, but I think I screamed out of fear too. I mean who gives birth in a car?!?! Thankfully, everything went really smoothly considering our circumstances. Talking with the pediatrician the next day she actually said that if there were ever a baby to be born in a car, Camila would be the poster child for it. She was a perfect size with absolutely no complications. Jared was wonderful during the whole thing and really stepped up to the plate. In talking with him he said he just went into "assist" mode in order to make sure baby and I would be okay.

Did the ambulance ever make it, you might be asking??? Well, yes, they finally did. They literally pulled up 30 sec. after I had her. They clamped her cord and took her and I to the hospital. We arrived and the rest is kind of history.

So there you have it. Camila's birth was quite an event. I don't think I can ever look at that exit, let alone that parking lot, quite the same. But for the miracle that happened there I am forever grateful.

12 comments:

Jessie said...

Oh, my, goodness! That is just amazing! Talk about quatlity family time! You are such a trooper. So strong. I don't if I could do it. What a story that little baby girl will always have in life! Congrats, I am so glad you are all well!

Anonymous said...

Love it Love it! You and Jared are so amazing!!! Your story is one that you will be telling Camila the rest of your life! :) And her name is BEAUTIFUL btw...
(every time i see that exit now i think of you too! ;)

Tina said...

Kirk was in the room with me when I first read your post. I just kept laughing (nervously!) and saying "Oh, my goodness! Oh, my goodness!" I think he was as relieved as I was to hear that everything was fine in the end! : )

YOU ARE AMAZING!!! And what a family experience! Congrats to everyone!

Camille Hammond said...

I have to say, that is the best birth story I've ever heard! And I love the name! You guys need to come see the Alamo sometime so we can see you!

Stephanie said...

OH my goodness! I understand the panic and fear of no epidural and not expecting to have the baby so quick (since that's how Colin went) BUT I can't imagine having the baby in the car! With all the kids too! I'm glad you guys are doing well and she is GORGEOUS!!! I love ya! Hopefully I'll talk to you soon!

Lanae said...

wow sandra! you guys are amazing. I love her name, what a sweet little face. she looks so much like mikaela already. can't wait to meet her.

RichKids said...

Oh my gosh!!! I can't believe it...one of those stories you hear on the news, but you never really know those people! Since Kathleen told me about it, I have thought of all of the awful details. :/ It sounds like ya'll handled it AMAZINGLY! I'm so glad all is well, and she is, of course BEAUTIFUL. :)

Wendy said...

Congratulations!!! Thanks for sharing your adventure!!! Love it!!!

Jean said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad everything worked out O.K. and she got here safe and sound. Our girls are almost twinners! Hope you are feeling good.

Natalie Redd said...

Ho. Lee. Cow!!! That is so amazing! What a great story!! Glad she's here safe and sound!

Rich and Kim said...

Wow Sandra! That is quite the story! Congrats on your 4th baby! I wish we could see you all. It's been forever since we saw you and Jared. Glad you are doing so well.

Rich and Kim said...

Rich can't stop talking about this. This is blowing his mind!